Mystery Drop enables creators such as artists and musicians, to sell a collection of NFTs before revealing the artwork. This feature enables new drop dynamics that creators can leverage to engage with their audience. The primary use case for Mystery Drop is NFT box breaks, where people can buy into a ‘pack’ of NFTs and watch the artist unveil them in real time on a live stream. Mystery Drop uses the Rarible collection smart contract to mint the NFTs and integrate with other NFT protocols like NFTX.
Mystery Drop was developed at the EthGlobal NFTHack.
- 3rd place winner of Rarible sponsor prize
- 2nd place winner of NFTX sponsor prize
- Submission, demo video & source code: https://hack.ethglobal.co/showcase/mysterydrop-recnAaH5hHt2oH656
The market has already shown interest in curated collections or boxes of NFTs, like the ones that are released by Pranksy on NFT Boxes
How Mystery Drop works
For an artist
- Select media supported by Rarible to be included in the drop
- Fill out the description, upload a cover image for their drop & upload the artwork to a private portal. Media is private and can only be viewable by artist/creator. This allows the platform to run scripts and generate the NFTs
- Select the terms of the box (random redemption, lock-up period, etc)
- Mint the box
- Share link with with their communities and the greater metaverse.
- While streaming online with Twitch or similar platform, the creator unlocks the packs. Packs can be configured to reveal automatically, or can remain ‘unopened’ until the owner chooses to open it.
For a collector
- Browse Mystery Drop upcoming releases, or follow artists on social media
- When a drop opens up, buy a token which represents ownership of one of the NFTs in the collection
- Wait & watch the unveiling live
- Redeem token for an NFT, or hold the token & keep the collection intact
Under the hood
- Mystery Drop uses deterministic IPFS CIDs to predict where art & metadata will be pinned. These CIDs re embedded into NFT URI’s like normal, but they are un-resolvable until the artist pins the content
Integrate the Mystery Drop dynamics into the Rarible protocol & interface so Rarible users can choose a novel way to drop their NFTs to their community
This would include:
- Integrating Mystery Drop scripts with Mainnet Rarible contracts
- Integrating with mainnet NFT collection contracts, like NFTX
- Developing a UX for artists to put together their drops
- And the subsequent unveiling
- Improving the UX for collectors to watch the unveiling
- Integrate option on Rarible dashboard to redirect users to Mystery Drop when they are minting their NFTs
ETA: ~6 weeks (conservatively)
TBD (need to calculate gas & operating expenses of the platform)
MysteryDrop may collect a portion of the box token sale proceeds to operate the platform
Active collaboration with Rarible governance & community, as well as attending regular calls to provide updates
Why fund this?
Artists are looking for novel ways to drop NFTs and engage with their community. Having Mystery Drop as a core feature of the Rarible protocol would make Rarible more attractive when artists are selecting what platform to use, and subsequently drive marketplace activity for Rarible.