Proposal: Step-by-step Training for Artists new to NFTs

Proposal

My proposal is that I create a training for visual artists who want to get started offering their art as NFTs at Rarible.

Why This is Needed

I’ve tried in vain to get so many of my favorite artists to create their art as NFTs, if only so that I could buy them myself. What I’ve seen is that most of the educational material out there was created by people who do better learning from reading. There isn’t enough out there for people who are more visual in how they learn best, so a lot of visual artists are overwhelmed. There is also a lack of “start to finish” training that is organized in the way people learn a new topic.

My Background

For several years I was a full-time technical trainer in NYC. Then for another 6 years training was a core component of my work implementing technical systems for businesses in North America and Europe then retraining their employees. Trainings were at first live, but ultimately became completely video based. In almost all cases, I have designed the curriculum for the trainings I’ve delivered, and always for video training courses.

I have a MA in Counseling Psychology which gives me a strong foundation in understanding how adults learn. I’ve created over a dozen online training courses, including a couple in blockchain usage, such as for HIVE and Whaleshares blockchains when they first launched. My trainings are thorough and logically structured, yet presented with a light-hearted tone. This adds to them being effective in getting busy adults to actually do the steps shown and retain the information.

What’s Planned

I have an initial 10 lesson syllabus I’m working off of. (I’m currently soliciting input from Rarible artists on crucial gaps they once had in their understanding that may result in additional lessons.)

The training will begin with the basics of working with Ethereum, such as gas fees and Metamask installation, security, and usage. Then it will move on to the considerations for a successful NFT offering and the planning needed. It will focus next on step-by-step demonstration of how to use Rarible, including considerations of different choices along the way. Then it culminates in a hands-on lesson where they create their first NFT. Participating in the Rarible community will also be covered.

The training will be free for artists to take. Hosting will either be worked out with Rarible (input welcome) or on Moodle, a free, open-source course platform.

Funding

If working at this full-time, it would take me approximately a month to create a 10 lesson training. Compensation of 400 $RARI is requested, payable upon completion.

Other Details

Throughout the training creation I will be drawing upon feedback and review from subject matter experts (SMEs) who are extremely knowledgeable about the Rarible platform. I also attended the NFTHack event from ETHGlobal and there got insight into some of Rarible’s future plans, which will allow me to allude to those where pertinent.
To address an issue intrinsic to video training, durability over time as tech changes, every lesson will have a text and screenshot component, even if the lesson is primarily video based. This will allow the training to continue to be kept current as Rarible technology evolves.

How Does This Benefit Rarible Community?

By giving offline artists an easy to follow, highly visual and thorough training, we make it more likely they will follow through and make the transition into NFT artists. Having that training be on using Rarible makes it extremely likely that Rarible will be where they focus their NFT artist career. Having more and more successful offline artists primarily active within the Rarible community will bring more attention and support to all artists on the platform.

5 Likes

A couple thoughts:

1. Do you have any examples of other training videos you’ve done?
  2. Any further thoughts on the medium? Is written + video the best format for this? I assume it will be very hard to maintain since the platform and the tech is moving so quickly.

I would assume that very soon, onboarding will look very different with lazy minting. You won’t even need any crypto to mint.

2 Likes

Thanks for your questions. In answer:

1. Here’s one of my old courses that’s still publicly available https://www.udemy.com/course/salesforcecom-new-user-training/
    You can see a couple of preview lessons (First Steps and Types of Fields), though it is intended for a very different audience, so has a more formal tone and pacing than I would use in a training for artists. It was also created years ago, but is an example of a fully fleshed out, start to finish training.
    You can see my most recent training on HIVE blockchain here: https://peakd.com/hive-174578/@indigoocean/new-getting-started-with-hive-video-tutorial-lesson-1. Each lesson has links to subsequent lessons at the end of it, for a total of 4 lessons. I had to work with the way the platform works to present the training, so wound up doing longer videos to have fewer posts. For this NFT training, I want to have more lessons that are each shorter, 6-10 minutes.

2. The delivery medium will be on-screen video training for the second section “hands-on” lessons. I will demonstrate installing Metamask, for example. There will be written transcripts that go with the videos, plus other supplemental written information and links. However, the first section will be written with screenshots instead of video training. That’s where the course will cover topics like the benefits of issuing one’s art as NFTs, successful launches, and methods for bringing one’s offline fanbase into the NFT buyers market.

On Remaining Current
Yes, the technology changes quickly. The written components can easily be edited to update them, but video lessons are more challenging. When new features come out, I find it best to add short videos on the new features, rather than trying to edit a small section of an existing lesson.

For lazy minting for example, I think that merits a separate lesson, because there are reasons to do it and reasons not to. I won’t presume everyone is going to do it, so it’s still necessary to have the steps shown for the current minting process too.

There is a lot of written content in the way I envision this course. That’s why I took the word “video” out of the title between the Hackathon and this proposal. Only the hands-on materials are now to be videos. The rest is text with screenshots and links to useful sites. Even though much can easily be updated, how often it will need to be updated is unclear to me.

yeah when lazy minting is an option…things will really blow up…