In the first post outlining RR2, we proposed that it be possible to stake $RARI tokens in the protocol for different lengths of time in order to receive “activated” RARI, which gives you governance rights as well as RARI rewards if you participate in governance.
Over the last couple months, we’ve made progress of these concepts and would like to share some updates with the community. Below are some notes on where we are today, feel free to comment below on your preferences.
We propose that the minimum staking period be two months, and the maximum staking period be 2 years.
We propose that the amount of activated RARI given to stakers scale exponentially with the staking period. Ie, the longer your staking period, the more voting power you receive relative to the amount of tokens locked.
Below is a visualization of voting power / RARI rewards received for three similar models, we would love to know which one the community thinks we should start with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JxVfCzDHsF3rnN4mYGaOc2cVdlSV32_j_zO87olix8c/edit?usp=sharing
Some Simplified Example
- The examples below assume Model 3 on this sheet
- This model also assumes a total of 723,000 RARI staked (representing 20% of circulating supply), staked for 12 months (total aRARI ~ 451,000)
- This model assumes 10K RARI per week distributed to governance participants (and assumes 4 weeks per month)
- This model also assumes that all RARI stakers participate in governance
- The model assumes that the activated RARI balances stay constant over time (in reality, they will be decreasing over time since aRARI tokens convert back to RARI)
- Locks 1000 tokens for 2 months since she has a short time horizon
- She receives 503.47 aRARI
- In the first month, she will receive (503.47/451,000)*40,000 RARI = ~45 RARI, representing an 4.5% return
- Mark locks 1000 tokens for 24 months
- He receives 1000 aRARI
- In the first month, he receives (1000/451,000)*40,000 RARI = ~89 RARI, representing an 8.9% return
These are super simplified examples, but they are just meant to demonstrate at a high level the longer staking incentives, and the opportunity to earn governance rewards on your RARI. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!