Verified user stealing others work

Hi everyone, I searched for a post to reply to, but couldn´t find a suitable one so I wanted to start a new topic about the verified users that I stumbled upon, who are minting and selling others’ work. What is your experience with scammers? How does reporting works and are there any consequences to fake users?

I have found an NFT and reported the user & the work via rarible 2 days ago, I´ve warned the original artist and posted also on twitter, but the NFT is still on the main page under “Hot Bids” and people are about to buy it…

Could you help me stop this scammer and report the NFT?

:monkey_face: Stolen work:

:nerd_face: Original artist:

14 Likes

Hi @ilkhan,

it’s a plague. All we can do is to report en masse, but I think the Rarible team should be more careful with such matters because they’re liable for those kinds of thefts.

My NFT here and my profile here
I always follow for follow, even on instagram where you can see my other pieces and my painting process.

4 Likes

Hi @Sheratan
It´s a shame, yes and in this case, it´s easy to find out which one is the real artist. One has some followers and a verified badge on rarible but no means to produce art in that magnitude - and the other one is an award-winning collective… I can see this happening a lot to emerging or not-so-famous artists and needs asap a solution. Have you found any explanation from rarible so far regarding scammers?

3 Likes

Nope, no answers from Rarible but they tend to take down litigious NFTs when they are massively reported.
However, users don’t report a lot. they are more focused on selling, selling, selling, instead of supporting their fellow artists.

I always follow for follow, even on instagram where you can see my other pieces and my painting process.

3 Likes

Fark in hell! That’s just a stone down clear on 100% theft isn’t it! There wasn’t even any attempt to change a thing, just - bam! Here you go!

There’s a lot of it in the tangible art world too - individuals claiming to be the owner of images for print release and as soon as you get the site taken down then another, exact, one pops up.

But this is fucked up beyond another level - AND THE USER IS VERIFIED TOO!!!

Links to my Rarible and my Instagram and my Website

I always post my art to Insta first and then when I get the time for admin, I’ll add it to my website

4 Likes

100% a hard pill to swallow. Unfortunately a lot of artists don’t do their part to keep their art safe. My art is always signed and if I post it on social media it will be at a lower quality or watermarked. I know its not 100% safe but to remove all the watermarks, signatures and spice up the quality can be a bit of a pain, hopefully deterring would be thieves. I just wish more social media sites would disable the “copy/save as” options, which I know can be done.

2 Likes

Very important Topic!!!

This issue should really be addressed properly!!!

We won’t tolerate thieves!!!

My Profile and NFTs

My Instagram

Twitter

4 Likes

This is so bad! I agree with CMMR you can do more to protect the work, I also think that rarible and other similar sites should be aggressive towards users that do this kind of thing

3 Likes

Daha bizim hırsızlar keşfetmedi. Bak o zaman gör ne dibe gidecek burası.

1 Like

It’s not something I would do, but you can always add a signature or watermark of some kind to your work if you are worried about this happening to yourself.

2 Likes

@erlikwindsteel Evet kesinlikle! Umarım yakın zamanda bir karşı önlem alınır, yoksa gerçek sanatçıyla hırsızı ayırt etmek çok zor olacak. Bir de şans işi var tabiki, eğer ben ouchhh ı tanımasaydım kim farkına ne zaman varırdı bilmiyorum…

2 Likes

Walla şans işte, hele bireysel takılanlarda. Bekiliyorum ben halen, verifikasyonda gelmedi daha.

My NFTs

My archive

1 Like

Hi @CMMR @JRH @deebread!

2 Problems I see:
1st: Being able to mint and sell nearly anything you find on the net - verified or not
2nd: Proof of originality via rarible

Normally when someone buys an artwork via galleries or auctions, you get a certificate of originality/ownership. Your seller actually has to guarantee that the artwork you are buying was created by the artist. If not that gallery goes down quite quickly after the fraudulent attempt. Sadly an NFT shows only that it´s on the blockchain via a platform (opensea, rarible, superrare & co) with some metadata (creator, edition, etc.). These platforms are also trying to expand exponentially atm and there is no contract between creators and rarible that binds anything, which leads to users exploiting platforms under different wallets/accounts.

Watermarking via rarible could be a solution but it won´t stop people from minting others work.

Personally, I would rather have a trustworthy community than being able to show & sell my work to thousands of users (rarible has ± 14k users atm) - but what do I know :smiley:

7 Likes

No, it depends , i am using labels on my store but i mint nft without label at here.

1 Like

It’s a difficult one that NFT marketplaces really need to sort out. Especially if they are to be taken seriously by the mainstream.

I have thought of creating a certificate that will be sold alongside my work. But this doesn’t stop people stealing your work, at least you can prove by dates etc that you created the original.

2 Likes

Hello, I also saw some suspicious work out there… First of all, I tried to contact the author directly because you never know if he just uses another nickname here, but he didn’t answer yet. And without any proof, I am quite worried about flag art… (it was verified user as well :()
I think it could definitely ruin the trust of the buyers:_(

6 Likes

Sure, but when it’s obvious that the art is stolen, it’s our responsibility to flag it otherwise, we’ll lose credibility faster than lightning, and the whole emerging market will collapse.

It’s better to cry wolf than being devoured by it!

5 Likes

@ilkhan Ou, i just searched through the account you shared and I am pretty sure it was this one - the traffic lights are not theirs… This account is totally scammy. I am pretty sure they changed the name of the account as well. :frowning:

6 Likes

@Trimaliny yes it is quite possible that everything on their site is saved & minted without consent and the art does not correspond with the creator either- there is no philosophy or consistency. You can´t see the style of the artist embedded in the art. All that they created so far looks like eye-catchers and “pop-art”. After tagging them on Twitter I checked their profile out - they even say things like "the revenues go to charity/student loans, etc.) and yesterday they started to follow me :joy: let us see if anyone responses and please report the nft & account as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, there is no consistency at all. Already reported :frowning:

1 Like