When creating an NFT on rarible is the artwork on-chain?

Hi all. I’ve read through a few different threads and I might’ve come across the answer I’m looking for without knowing it. I’m very new to this space and have no coding background, so I’ll pose it in a different way. In short I want to ensure my art is on-chain and I don’t know how to do that.

• From my understanding it’s important that the art is on-chain so that it is always linked to the smart contract.
  • Meaning no third party server is hosting the art.
  • Meaning the art file can be accessed no matter where the contract is transferred to.
  • Am I understanding this correctly?

I’ve created a few NFTs on OpenSea, and I’ve read that the artwork doesn’t go on chain until someone buys it, or once it’s transferred.

I also heard that when you create NFTs on Rarible, the artwork is automatically on-chain once you create it.

Am I understanding this correctly?
If I create my NFT on Rarible, will my artwork be on-chain automatically?

THANKS!

1 Like

Hi @Pen_Bizzy, welcome :slight_smile:

I think you’re overthinking things (but in a really good way :slight_smile:)

OpenSea creates the contract when a piece has been bought so that the artist doesn’t have to pay upfront fees (the gas fee is covered in the sale transaction)

Rarible is on-chain when you mint a piece so it’s wise to keep an eye out for gas fees hi/lows and you can do that at raribleanalytics.com

When you mint/create a piece on Rarible you will be charged an initial platform fee (once only) and then you’ll also pay the gas fee (this is similar to OS) and your piece will exist as you being the creator with the piece held in the Rarible collection

Rarible is looking at going the same way as OpenSea in regards to its minting fees and I believe you can do that now but only on an iphone and via a specific app - you’d need to search for that

beyond that - well, that’s sort of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea I’m still getting used to all the terminology, sooner or later i’ll get a better understanding of this. Thanks for the response, it was really helpful.

2 Likes

when I was starting I found YouTube vids to be extremely helpful; good luck with it all :slight_smile:

1 Like